[rancid] RANCID against Adtran IAD 900

Kemp, Larry Larry.Kemp at usmetrotel.com
Fri Dec 5 22:44:03 UTC 2008

Hey guys...

We have Rancid running great hourly diff-ing and backing up our configs for all our Cisco gear on our entire network. We are really happy with it and happy being part of this group, the Rancid community here has made all the difference to us. So thanks to all of you!

We are now trying to get Rancid to work with my Adtran IAD 900's. The internal operating system essentially functions just like a Cisco router. Mr. Ted Cabeen wrote a great script for use on the Adtran IAD 900's too...located here: http://osdir.com/ml/network.rancid/2006-08/msg00025.html.

We think rancid-run is executing the lines from the router.db and .cloginrc files because in the /usr/local/rancid/var/networking/configs directory we see a file with the IP-address of my IAD appear and we get the email telling us it was added. However when we look at the file in /usr/local/rancid/var/networking/configs (named after that devices IP-address) that file is empty. The IP is NOT showing up in the routers.down or the routers.failed files.

I took Ted Cabeen's script and named it /usr/local/rancid/bin/adrancid, I placed this file "adrancid" in this directory with all the other executables (see this file attached).

In the /usr/local/rancid/var/networking/router.db file I have this device listed as:

101.100.110.11:adrancid:up

In the /usr/local/rancid/.cloginrc file I have the following commands listed for this device:

# Device at IP address 10.100.110.11

add password 10.100.110.11 the-rancid-account's-password our-device's-enable-password

add user 10.100.110.11 rancid

add userprompt 10.100.11.11

add method 10.100.11.11 {telnet}

I am using:

- Cent OS          version 5.2

- Rancid            version 2.3..2a2

- Perl                version 5.8.8

- Expect            version 5.43.0-5.1.i386

- VI Improved    version 7.0.237

I have not been able to find any info on correcting this problem online (where maybe somebody else has run into this too). I am thinking that maybe I need to change something simple in the router.db, .cloginrc or rancid.conf files. If anyone has successfully gotten these Adtran IAD 900's to work with Rancid, we sure could use some minor guidance on what config you are using or how you solved this if you ran into it too.

Thank you!

Respectfully,

Larry Kemp

Bonita Springs FL USA