[rancid] Re: 3Com Switches

Andrew Brennan andrew.brennan at drexel.edu
Fri Mar 14 11:14:06 UTC 2008

While 3Com's older switches are menu driven, I believe the 3300s and 4xxx
models all permit you to "overload" the command - effectively using it as
though there was a standard CLI.  You can't dump the config to text where
RANCID would then parse it, but you can script up a rather simple wrapper
and run a TFTP daemon to collect the configs (which are text files, so if
RANCID were then reading the files from the dump directory ...)

If you're familiar with Expect and the "autoexpect" script, either SSH or
Telnet into one of your switches, then issue this:

    system backupConfig save <tftpd-ip> <filename> <notes-field>

... and you'll have your configs (mostly) backed up.  The backup process
leaves out a few security related bit of data (ssh keys, etc.) so you may
need to include those later before you restore a config to a switch.  The
autoexpect script builds a script to run exactly what you have typed.  If
you modify that script to read a few arguments when you start it, you'll
be 95% done with your 4400 backup project.

andrew.