Expect

Josh Richards jrichard at digitalwest.net
Sat Aug 11 19:59:27 UTC 2001

* Mike Hyde <mhyde at escape.ca> [20010810 14:33]:
> Well I give up on expect.  It keeps freezing when I run config dumps.  Does
> anyone have a hack to remove using expect or a way to slow down the config
> dump?

What is the target (e.g. Cisco, Juniper, RedBack, etc.)?

> I have tried multiple versions of expect, but have been unable to get it to
> work.

Hmm...something definitely sounds awry.  Unless you've got network problems
between the box running Rancid and the target or a really slow box I'm not
sure why that'd be occurring.

> I am running Linux Mandrake 8.0 with the newest version of expect.  I tried
> unsucessfuly to compile 5.24 but gcc is too new for it.

Expect 5.25.0 here and working fine.

> Any ideas?

What happens when you do a ~rancid/bin/clogin -c "show run" <router> or the
equivalent for your platform (clogin = Cisco, jlogin = Juniper, elogin = ADC,
flogin = foundry)?  The command," -c <command>", above is for Cisco.

-jr