specify the router you want to diff on

Andrew Partan asp at partan.com
Tue Dec 4 02:07:43 UTC 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:20:10AM -0800, john heasley wrote:
> Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 11:58:08AM -0700, Dave Packham:
> > We are currently doing immediate diffs when the user makes the change
> > and syslog notices the exit from config mode.  That way the user that
> > made the change and the managers know when and what the person just did.
> > We don't do hourly/daily diffs.  So some way to pass (do-diffs -r
> > "some-router") and have that pass that info along to the control_rancid
> > and allow control_rancid to do all its normal housekeeping would be the
> > best way.
>
> then you do not get diffs resulting from such things as reloads or crashes
> until someone makes a change.  my book would mark that undesirable.

belt & suspenders.  i'd do 2 setups - one for diffs when triggered
(by syslog or what have you) and one run every hour.

what if the router you triggered on was not reachable?  or if your
collection machine could not log into it?  unless you have something
periodic going, you could loose that change & never catch it.
	--asp