rancid & Procurve 2524

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Apr 5 08:06:39 UTC 2002

Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 08:25:56AM +0200, Juan José Muñoz Martinez:

> Hello to all,
>
> I'm working the marvellous rancid tool since two weeks ago.
> I have registered all the cisco routers, but know I have problems to collect
> the cinfiguration of HP Procurve 2524 switches.
> I use the following definitions in routers.db and .cloginrc:
>
> =========
> routers.db
> =========
> 192.168.1.78:hp:up
>
> =========
> .cloginrc
> =========
> add autoenable 192.168.1.78 1
> add password 192.168.1.78 telnetpasswd enablepasswd
>

> The switch is autoeabled, i.e. when I telnet by hand and press 'intro' I
> have the '#' prompt, and I can run commands as 'show config'.  But rancid
> tells that can't contact the device.
> If I debug the connection following the FAQ guidelines I see that rancid
> makes me to specify the line with the password although it don't use them.
> the execution of .hlogi or .clogin shows me the connection to the switch
> like telnet, but it blocks, perhaps rancid is waiting for some characters
> from switch, and the switch is waiting for characters from rancid.

"press I" leads me to believe that you're getting the silly menu system
or they've added something terribly silly to the login procedure.  rancid
must have the command-line interface.  eg:

% ./hlogin 192.168.0.2
192.168.0.2
spawn hpfilter telnet 192.168.0.2
Trying 192.168.0.2...
Connected to 192.168.0.2.
Escape character is '^]'.
HP J4813A ProCurve Switch 2524
Firmware revision F.02.13

Copyright (C) 1991-1998 Hewlett-Packard Co.  All Rights Reserved.

                           RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

 Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions
 as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and
 Computer Software clause at 52.227-7013.

         HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303

Connecting to Tacacs server 192.168.0.1

User Access Verification

Username: user
Password: