RANCID and Cisco Catalyst Switches

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Apr 30 22:25:23 UTC 2002

Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:33:04AM -0700, Pierotti, Phil:
> Cisco Catalyst Switches effectively modify the configuration every time a
> port changes link state - by tweaking the active "spantree portcost" and
> "spantree portvlancost".

this is considered (by me anyway) to extremely bad form.  cisco should be
forced to correct this _bug_.  extreme does this crap as well.  anyway, the
reason we do no filter this is because in theory its an administrative knob.
thus, if the config rancid saves is to be a candidate to recover a config....

> Does anyone know/have a hack/tweak to make RANCID ignore these "differences"
> in the configurations?

you could add a line like this around line 816 of cat5rancid within
sub WriteTerm:

	/^spantree portcost: / && next;