rancid hangs due to expect, ssh, or cisco?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Dec 31 18:16:46 UTC 2002

Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 09:43:32AM -0800, Randy Bush:
> > I have for now worked around this by using telnet instead of SSH, but the
> > still remains the same. I am also expriencing this issue sometimes when I
> > run commands with large output without paging on the routers as well,
> > so I do think it might be something in IOS.
>
> i think this happens for me on a non-cisco router with a cisco cli

almost certainly.  if the device_type field of the router.db file is
incorrect, the wrong login script might ("might" because some types
use the same script) be used.  it would be nice to merge all the
scripts, but that is difficult - and we dont want to jeopardize their
stability.

but, i am at a loss as to what might be wrong with Johan or Anchi's
collections.  i know of rancid users with both solaris and linux that
have not had problems.  what i've seen thus far point to either an
IOS or telnet/ssh/expect problem.  someone experiencing the problem will
have to figure it out or one of them will have to offer a login and
router access to me.  sorry guys.