Problem with RANCID on RH 9.0

Shrimpton, Craig CShrimpt at INTERGEN.com
Fri Nov 14 14:25:05 UTC 2003

> what is the error that this route returns when an unknown command is
> entered?  eg: show install active
>
> Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:09:17AM -0500, Shrimpton, Craig:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've set up RANCID on a RH 9.0 machine and everything appears to work with
> > the exception of writing the configs it retrieves.  I'm thinking it has
> > something to do with creating the temp files but I'm not sure.  I can use
> > clogin to access my router and enter commands.  I can also run rancid
> > directly and it will create a ".new" file in the rancid/bin directory.
> > However, running do-diffs produces no output.

The problem looks like it's specific to RH 9.0.  I removed RH 9.0 and
installed SuSE 9.0 and now it works fine with the exact same config.  Maybe
there is some subtle difference between the two distros with respect to
either expect or perl?  However, both distros have the same versions of the
two mentioned apps.

That's o.k. since I like SuSE better anyway, but I wish I could figure out
what did it in case it happens after an upgrade.

Thanks,

-C