how use an edited version of cat5rancid

Jason Truong JasonT at plumtree.com
Thu Oct 16 17:36:51 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have successfully installed rancid and it working great for some of my Cisco switches.
The ones that work are for the Cisco Catalyst 4003.

I have a bunch of Catalyst 3548s that don't appear to work.
In my router.db file I have:

cat4003-mez.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat4003-2nd.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat4003-3rd.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat4006-server.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat3548-3rd.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat3548-svr-sw1.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat3548-svr-sw2.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat3548-svr-sw3.plumtree.com:cat5:up
cat3548-svr-sw4.plumtree.com:cat5:up

So I am using "cat5" for mfg for my cisco catalyst switches.  However, when I run do-diffs, nothing happens for the cat3548s. When I run rancid or cat5rancid (for debugging) I get errors.  Basically, some of the called commands from the scripts don't work .. ie

[rancid at Nagios bin]$ ./cat5rancid -d cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com
executing clogin -t 90 -c"show version;show boot;show flash;dir bootflash:;dir slot0:;dir slot1:;dir sup-bootflash:;dir sup-microcode:;show module;show port ifindex;write term" cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com
cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com: missed cmd(s): show port ifindex,show module,dir sup-microcode:,dir sup-bootflash:,dir bootflash:,dir slot0:,show version,show flash,write term,show boot,dir slot1:
cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com: missed cmd(s): show port ifindex,show module,dir sup-microcode:,dir sup-bootflash:,dir bootflash:,dir slot0:,show version,show flash,write term,show boot,dir slot1:
cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com: End of run not found
cat3548-2nd.plumtree.com: End of run not found

Some of the commands mention above dont' work.  It appears that cat5rancid does not output anything if any of the commands don't work while rancid at least spits out whatever it can find.

So my questions are:

- how do we know if rancid or cat5rancid is called? (should I use cisco as the mfg in my router.db file?)
- how do we get rancid to call an edited version of any of these scripts?

thanks,

Jason T.