rancid clogin freezes after login

Chris Johns chrisjohns_cisco at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 07:05:10 UTC 2003

hello folks,

Sorry for the "i'm new to rancid question ... but";

I've just installed rancid and it works fine for some routers, ie. clogin
works fine, grabs the routers config and mails me any diffs, the problem is
this is only working for some routers. Currently for the routers that rancid
isn't working on, it stops after rancid logs into the router, below is a
clogin to the router, it appears to login to the router but then freezes, I
can't type anything, CR doesn't work, I can either break out with a ctrl-c
or wait for a timeout error;

vertigo:~$ clogin -c 'show version' 192.168.152.1
192.168.152.1
spawn telnet 192.168.152.1
Trying 192.168.152.1...
Connected to 192.168.152.1.
Escape character is '^]'.

* Unauthorized access to this device or the attached         *
* networks is prohibited without express written permission. *
* Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of both *
* civil and criminal law.                                    *
* Use of the system may be logged or monitored without       *
* further notice.                                            *

User Access Verification

Username: Kerberos:     No default realm defined for Kerberos!
resman
Password:

DC01-hga#
Error: TIMEOUT reached
vertigo:~$

My .cloginrc file is a follows;
add password 192.168.152.1 vtypass enablepass
add user 192.168.152.1 radius-user-name
add userpassword 192.168.152.1 radius-password

If I run the exact same command as above on another cisco 6500 (nativeIOS);
vertigo:~$ clogin -c 'show version' 192.168.152.7
192.168.152.7
spawn telnet 192.168.152.7
Trying 192.168.152.7...
Connected to 192.168.152.7.
Escape character is '^]'.

* Unauthorized access to this device or the attached         *
* networks is prohibited without express written permission. *
* Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of both *
* civil and criminal law.                                    *
* Use of the system may be logged or monitored without       *
* further notice.                                            *

User Access Verification

Username: Kerberos:     No default realm defined for Kerberos!
resman
Password:

test-box>enable
Password:
test-box#
test-box#term length 0
test-box#show version
IOS (tm) c6sup1_rp Software (c6sup1_rp-JK2S-M), Version 12.1(13)E7, EARLY
DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
<snip>
Configuration register is 0x2102

test-box#exit
Connection closed by foreign host.
vertigo:~$

RANCID is running on FreeBSD and trying to login into either 6500 (all
nativeIOS) and 3600's at the moment

thanks
Chris