Prompt issues on Bay routers.

stefmit stefmit at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 12:58:16 UTC 2003

I have raised this issue before, but I had never dared to go any further,
knowing how hard it is for someone to create a program, then having to deal
with all possible questions and issues raised by everyone, about every flavor
of equipment that could possibly exist ... I have made myself some changes to
the script, but have failed to properly login all the way into the "bcc". I
will thus take advantage right now of this kind and direct offer from John,
to help in resolving the Bays, and prodiving him with the info:

TI = technician interface - a rudimentary management interface into the
Bay/Nortel routers, with some (limited) capabilities. Unlike a regular CLI
(command line interface), the TI has some scripting capabilities

BCC = Bay Command Console - next level into the "guts" of the router. This has
two modes: command mode and configuration mode.

NOTE: before showing you a simple login session through all layers, I feel we
need to specify something here: the majority of items to be set on Bay
routers are reachable only via their corresponding MIB entity names/numbers,
which is a PITA!!!

And now a session - consisting in login to the TI (first level), then issuing
the bcc command (second level, and first of the bcc, the command mode), then
typing config (this is probably the equivalent of enable in cisco - second
level for bcc)

[scm at Crypto]$ telnet x.y.z.w
Trying x.y.w.z...
Connected to bcn (x.y.w.z).
Escape character is '^]'.

Bay Networks, Inc. and its Licensors.
Copyright 1992,1993,1994,1995,1996,1997,1998,1999. All rights reserved.

Login: Manager

Password: [hidden]

Mounting new volume...
Device label:
Directory: 1:
New Present Working Directory: 1:

      Welcome to the Backbone Technician Interface

[us-head-bcn]$bcc

     Welcome to the Bay Command Console!

     * To enter configuration mode, type config

     * To list all system commands, type ?

     * To exit the BCC, type exit

bcc> config

Reading configuration information, please wait . . . done.

box#

... that's all that is to it.

Thank you, John!

Stef