Prompt issues on Bay routers.

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Sep 15 22:52:24 UTC 2003

Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:58:16AM -0500, stefmit:
> I have raised this issue before, but I had never dared to go any further,
> knowing how hard it is for someone to create a program, then having to deal
> with all possible questions and issues raised by everyone, about every flavor
> of equipment that could possibly exist ... I have made myself some changes to
> the script, but have failed to properly login all the way into the "bcc". I
> will thus take advantage right now of this kind and direct offer from John,
> to help in resolving the Bays, and prodiving him with the info:
>
> TI = technician interface - a rudimentary management interface into the
> Bay/Nortel routers, with some (limited) capabilities. Unlike a regular CLI
> (command line interface), the TI has some scripting capabilities
>
> BCC = Bay Command Console - next level into the "guts" of the router. This has
> two modes: command mode and configuration mode.
>
> NOTE: before showing you a simple login session through all layers, I feel we
> need to specify something here: the majority of items to be set on Bay
> routers are reachable only via their corresponding MIB entity names/numbers,
> which is a PITA!!!
>
> And now a session - consisting in login to the TI (first level), then issuing
> the bcc command (second level, and first of the bcc, the command mode), then
> typing config (this is probably the equivalent of enable in cisco - second
> level for bcc)
>
> [scm at Crypto]$ telnet x.y.z.w
> Trying x.y.w.z...
> Connected to bcn (x.y.w.z).
> Escape character is '^]'.
>

> Bay Networks, Inc. and its Licensors.
> Copyright 1992,1993,1994,1995,1996,1997,1998,1999. All rights reserved.
>

> Login: Manager
>
> Password: [hidden]
>
> Mounting new volume...
> Device label:
> Directory: 1:
> New Present Working Directory: 1:
>

>       Welcome to the Backbone Technician Interface
>

> [us-head-bcn]$bcc
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
where did this prompt come from? ie: what does "us-head-bcn" mean?
is it always within []s (square brackets)?  always end with $ (dollar
sign)?

no prompt for a password, because it is the "manager" account.  right?

btw, when i say "always", I mean at that privilege level and with all
bay devices capable of cmd-line...or at least those we hope to collect.

>      Welcome to the Bay Command Console!
>
>      * To enter configuration mode, type config
>
>      * To list all system commands, type ?
>
>      * To exit the BCC, type exit
>
> bcc> config
>
> Reading configuration information, please wait . . . done.
>
> box#

the prompt is "box"?  not us-head-bcn# or bcc#?

I should have asked explicity; what does the exit from 'box#' back to your
host look like?