Prompt issues on Bay routers.

stefmit stefmit at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 10:35:08 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 09:17 pm, Mark Cooper wrote:
> stefmit wrote:

> [mcooper at dire bin]$ grep logout *
> blogin.in:    send "logout\r"
> brancid.in:    if ( (/\>\s?logout$/) || $found_end ) {
> [mcooper at dire bin]$

For whatever reasons, in all Nortel/Bat routers I have tried this, blogin
never makes it this far (as in "reaching the logout"). It gets me to the TI
prompt ($), and I can run commands there, but even when typing "logout" (!!!)
I cannot actually log out of the router(s). Telnet-ing "normally" (i.e. no
"blogin")  into those same routers, and running commands, then a logout,
allows me to cleanly close the sessions ... very odd ...

> > One more note - at the [whatever]$ TI prompt, typing bcc takes a looong
> > time (I've seen routers where it took upwards to 30-45 sec, and not link
> > related!), before getting the "command" level bcc (i.e. bcc>), Typing
> > then config is pretty fast, though (to get the "enable" level", i.e.
> > box#).
>
> typing bcc taks a long time? Do you mean it takes a long time for
> blogin/brancid to get into bcc or that when you manually login you
> cannot type bcc? I think you mean the first as it's something I've seen
> myself. It all depends on the spec/loading of router involved, and
> particularly memory. It seems to have to do *alot* of work to load the
> bcc module on low sepc/memory routers. One lovely side effect of this I
> noted was a massive jump in latency through the router! Try pinging the
> router and then running brancid. As soon as it hits the bcc line the
> ping times go through the roof :( I've seen ping times go from 1mc up to
> 300ms!! :(

blogin/brancid never make it as far as getting to a bcc prompt (whether be it
"bcc>" or - even furfther - "box#"). I was referring to a normal login
session, going through TI, then typing bcc. All my Nortel routers hve at
least 32MB of RAM, and they handle small frame relay sites, with very small
tables, and not very much traffic.

> One thing I should mention ( I've still not been able to get access to
> any bay kit ), but brancid does not do a config command while in bcc and
> never needed to in order to run the show config commands. Has this
> changed in new revision's of BayOS?

No, it hasn't - one can do a "show config" under TI, without having to go into
bcc. The issue with bcc being the subject of this email thread was started by
someone's question about the equivalent of "enable" in the Nortel/Bat world.
I have explained as much as I was able to - in my initial response to that
query - what is the difference between TI and bcc ... and the thought was to
provide enough info to change the blogin/brancid to be able to handle a whole
session (login (telnet) into TI -->[router-ID]$bcc --> bcc>config -->
box#exit --> bcc>exit -->[router-ID]logout) properly. I do not think that
anybody was ever able to use blogin/brancid beyond the login to TI
capability.

Thx,
Stef