using config templates with rancid

Rob Evans Rob_Evans at johnlewis.com
Mon Jan 19 12:40:33 UTC 2004

I always keep a current checked out read-only version of the configs
which I then run extra diffs on via a batch script. The checked out
version of the configs is updated each time after do-diffs is run.
You could put an entry in crontab entry that looks something like this:
0 * * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/do-diffs ; cd /configs ;
/usr/local/bin/cvs -r -d /usr/local/rancid/CVS update >/dev/null 2>&1 ;
/usr/bin/diff -U0 /configs/router1 /configs/router1.template | mailx -s
diffs steve at smiller.org

I don't know much about CVS, but this works for me anyway.

Regards,

Rob