seq number in cisco prefix-list

joshua sahala jejs+rancid at sahala.org
Fri Jul 9 14:26:38 UTC 2004

On (09/07/04 16:58), Yuval Ben-Ari wrote:

> I also find it undesired and also disabled it.
> this makes the rancid config be different from the router config
>
> forgive my ignorance but what renumbering are you refering to ?
>
> Router(config)#do sh ip prefix-list TEST
> ip prefix-list TEST: 4 entries
>    seq 1 permit 5.0.0.0/8
>    seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
>    seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
>    seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
> Router(config)#

when you insert a rule between/before an existing rule, then the
sequence numbers of the rules don't change...but if you renumber so
that the rules are always 5 apart, then a portion of the list would
change (this is likely the case for people who automagically generate
their filters)
ex:
    seq 5 permit 10.0.0.0/8
    seq 10 permit 20.0.0.0/8
    seq 15 permit 30.0.0.0/8
becomes:
    seq 5 permit 2.0.0.0/8
    seq 10 permit 10.0.0.0/8
    seq 15 permit 20.0.0.0/8
    seq 20 permit 30.0.0.0/8
so in this case rancid will send you a longer list of changes (since
technically the entire prefix list changed)

/joshua
fools.
	- Douglas Adams -