Very strange problem with 2.2.2 (and 2.3-rc1) on FreeBSD-5.x

Erik Wenzel erik at code.de
Fri Mar 12 14:26:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:31:16AM -0800, john heasley wrote:
> Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:27:16AM +0100, Erik Wenzel:
> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:43:36AM -0500, Jeff Aitken wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I'm seeing a very strange problem with rancid-2.2.2 (and 2.3-rc1).
> > > I've been talking privately with some of the developers but this has
> > > all of us stumped.  Part of the problem is that no one has managed to
> > > duplicate the symptoms I'm seeing, so I'm I'm sending this to the
> > > -discuss list in the hopes that someone out there has seen something
> > > similar.
> > >From time to time I have dublicate lines in config files, which disappear
> > on the following run. I use rancid-2.2.2 with expect-5.38.0 and tcl8.4.1
> > on Solaris8. The occurance is arbitrary, so I am a bit aimless, howto
> > debug this problem
>
> Could you supply an example, please.
>
> What type of device is being collected?  what connection method, telnet or
> ssh?
This is an example output. There are mutiple occurances, when it
happens:
---snip---
  arp 1.1.1.1 0000.0000.0001 ARPA
+ arp 1.1.1.1 0000.0000.0001 ARPA
  arp 1.1.1.2 0000.0000.0002 ARPA
  arp 1.1.1.3.0000.0000.0003 ARPA
---snip---

On the next do-diffs run it disappears with:
---snip---
  arp 1.1.1.1 0000.0000.0001 ARPA
- arp 1.1.1.1 0000.0000.0001 ARPA
  arp 1.1.1.2 0000.0000.0002 ARPA
  arp 1.1.1.3.0000.0000.0003 ARPA
---snip---

This is collected with telnet from a Cisco Catalyst 6500 running IOS
Version 12.1(19)E1.

erik at code.de

"I am not a Geek! I shower."