Problem with Cisco 4000 with CatOS 7.6

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Sep 8 18:21:46 UTC 2004

Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 08:19:29AM -0700, Len:
> Cisco Cat OS 7.6 does not use write mem, all commands are written
> immediately,  you can see write mem isn't in the command reference guide
> for that relase.
>

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801fd92d.html#wp999860

Cisco has chosen to deprecate the 'write terminal' command in IOS, which has
been around since...oh 8.0.  This is why rancid collects 'show running-config'
and write terminal (until we're sure everything has show running).

But, I wasn't aware it would also be deprecated in CatOS and the page above
does not indicate it has been (at least not for this release).

Anyway, note that cat5rancid runs both write terminal and write terminal all.
The problem Peter is having is that 'write terminal' is not echo'd, it just
starts writing the configuration.  Also note that write terminal all _is_
echo'd.  that is a cisco bug.

Peter, try a different TERM setting in rancid.conf, such as "dumb" (if your
termap/termios has that one).