cisco 9509 fiber switch not working

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Wed Dec 14 17:55:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:33:03PM -0500, Hopper, Faron  W. wrote:

> Hello all,
>      I have a cisco 9509 fiber switch that I can't get rancid to
> recognize.  I can clogin -c "show version" to it and it provides the
> show version command and then exits.  When I try to run a rancid-run -r
> device to it, it produces the following log file

> starting: Wed Dec 14 10:55:06 CST 2005
>
> Trying to get all of the configs.
> cod-cisco-9509-1: End of run not found

[...]

What platform are you using, and what version of RANCID?  Also, read the
release notes in RANCID about how some versions of Expect need to be patched.

Have you tried "rancid -d" to get debug output?

Sometimes this error means rancid didn't find the last command ("exit"), but
in your case, it's there at the end of the output:

  ^MCoD-Cisco-9509-1#exit^M
  Connection closed by foreign host.

> The .raw file makes me think that it can't parse the error from the
> write term command (which is not supported on this device).

That's not the problem - you'll note that "show running-config" was
also sent and recognized.  rancid is smart enough to use whichever one
worked.