things deleted from the stored Cisco config

Andrew Partan asp at partan.com
Sat Jun 4 16:10:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 02:14:39AM -0400, Ed Ravin wrote:
> Which deletes the "seq NN" portion of an ip prefix list.  So a prefix
> list that looks like this:
>   ip prefix-list my-nets seq 20 permit blah
> is changed to:
>   ip prefix-list my-nets permit blah
> What's the reasoning behind this?

That way one can add something to the middle of an ip prefix list,
let the cisco automatically renumber the list, and not have a huge
diff output - you will only see the line that was added.

> Also, at the top of the "show running-config" output from most of my
> Ciscos, are these two handy lines:
>
> ! Last configuration change at 14:33:32 edt Wed Jun 1 2005 by eravin
> ! NVRAM config last updated at 14:35:18 edt Wed Jun 1 2005 by eravin
>
> Why does rancid also delete these?  We depend on those lines to tell
> who last modified the config and when they did it.

Too many erroneous diffs.  If you reboot a cisco, this output will
change, but the config is the same, so rancid should not show any
diffs.  Also if you go into config, make no changes, and then exit,
these lines will change; more erroneous diffs.

Also note that if you have 3 changes to the config between rancid
runs, these lines would only tell you about the last one.  If you
really want to tell who is changing the config & what they did,
turn on the command logging stuff in radius or tacacs, or watch
syslog output.
	--asp