RancidSVN: New Repository Location

Justin Grote justin at grote.name
Thu Mar 31 23:52:19 UTC 2005

***SUPPORT DISCLAIMER***
RancidSVN is NOT AFFILIATED WITH NOR SUPPORTED BY THE RANCID TEAM.
Please do not contact them about issues related to RancidSVN. They won't
help you. Maybe in the future my integrated version may be merged into
the RANCID code, but until such time it is not supported by them.
***END DISCLAIMER***

I've gotten quite a few emails on the status of my RancidSVN project.

It is quite alive and well. I'm working on a version that integrates
with 2.3.1 and allows the option of using either subversion or CVS as
your backend, but that version is still highly experimental and I'm not
releasing public versions at this time.

The original RancidSVN is fully available however. It is a drop-in
replacement for RANCID can be viewed or checked out via Subversion at
http://svn.dastylinrastan.com/rastan/rancidSVN.

To obtain the source, use the following command or a Subversion Client:

# svn export http://svn.dastylinrastan.com/rastan/rancidSVN
<destinationpath>

And compile just like RANCID.

If you already have the RANCID 2.3.1 sources, a patch can be downloaded
here:

http://svn.dastylinrastan.com/rastan/rancidSVN/RancidSVN-2.3.1.patch

This patch is applied with patch -p1.

The drop-in replacement works *exactly* like the CVS-based rancid. You
use the exact same commands (including rancid-cvs to create a
repository), but everything behind the scenes is done in Subversion
instead of CVS.

While I would still classify this release as beta, I've been running
several systems using it for about 6 months and haven't come across any
issues.

***BIG HUGE GINORMOUS DISCLAIMER***
Do NOT try to use with an existing RANCID CVS repository. It will not
convert your repository over. While it probably won't cause any damage,
it will make your CVS repository look messy. You should, however, be
able to convert an existing repository over with cvs2svn, and it should
work just fine (thats what I did with mine).
***END DISCLAIMER***

Only locally-hosted subversion repositories are supported
out-of-the-box. (i.e. accessible via file://). This is primarily to
retain compatibility with the existing rancid configuration files. You
can easily modify it to work with http, svn, svn+ssh, and all other
subversion targets.

If you have any problems, feel free to contact me and I'll do my best to
help :).