How to use "rancid -f file" option?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue May 10 02:16:24 UTC 2005

Mon, May 09, 2005 at 08:21:14PM -0400, Ed Ravin:
> I'm trying to set up rancid for the first time.  We already
> have a job that fetches configs from our routers and I'd like to
> have rancid work with those files.  I see I can invoke rancid with
> "-f filename", but it doesn't look like there's a way to fit
> that into the "normal" rancid setup with rancid_run.  Do I need to
> set up all my batch jobs for those routers separately?

-f is more a debugging tool than anything else.  eg:

% clogin -c 'cmds that;rancid;would;run' foo > foo
% rancid -dlf foo

many have written (see ISC.org) tools that grovel rancid's outputs;
perhaps you want the paradigm the other way or just build the router.db's
from your tools.