hlogin and hp2424/4000/8000 ?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed May 11 17:57:10 UTC 2005

Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:44:58AM -0400, Ed Ravin:
> Has anyone got hrancid/hlogin working with the Procurve 2424/4000/8000
> switches?  It looks like hlogin is meant for a newer switch that has
> a more command-line like interface and an extra command or two.  To
> get to the command prompt, you have to enter a couple of menu choices
> after logging in ("5", then "4", no carriage returns, then get a line
> with a VLAN prompt and enter a CR), and there's no router prompt to speak
> of because the telnet interface keeps sending cursor control characters
> to show you the current time in the upper right corner.

I'm not really keen on supporting such platforms.  Changes to the menus
are very likely, such that those selections no longer invoke the CLI.
To handle that in a reasonable way, hlogin would have to grovel the
menu and pick out the selections - not pleasant.

HP is a particular PITA, as their interface produces gobs of vt screen
handling codes that are a real bugger to filter.

% script hplog
% telnet switch

will give you a good idea.  you're welcome to send the log; maybe these
actually have clean output.