Adding Motorola BSR1000 support to RANCID

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Oct 13 19:19:02 UTC 2005

I'm a newbie to RANCID, and just finished installing it today.

I've added by Cisco devices, but our Motorola CMTS (which has an IOS-like
interface) doesn't want to play nice.  I used the Cisco device type, and it
successfully logs in, but the CLI must be different enough to throw it off.

In the logs I get this:
cmts: End of run not found
!
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
cmts: End of run not found
!
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
cmts: End of run not found
!
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
cmts: End of run not found
!
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
cmts: End of run not found
!

That's because the 'show running' ends with exclamation marks rather than
how Cisco configs normally ends.
enable rdn-process
!
!
!
!
!
cable service-class
!
!
RDN#
I modified the rancid expect file so that 'found_end' was set to '1', but
alas, that wasn't enough.

Has anyone come with a mod for this device, or a simple workaround?  Anyone
want to take a stab at this?  I'm willing to set up another
username/password so that it can be tested.

Kind regards,

Frank Bulk