firewall blade in 6509 system context backup issue

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Sep 16 03:29:29 UTC 2005

Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 04:24:47PM -0400, Hopper, Faron  W.:

> Hello,
>     Well, thanks to everyone's help, I am almost finished setting up RANCID to retrieve all of my configs.  I have one last issue that I would like to ask everyone's opinion on.  We have 2 new firewall blades for Cisco's 6500 series switches.  These firewall blades have the concept of contexts or virtual firewalls.  When I use clogin to login into the virtual firewall, I can issue the changeto <context> command it will change the context. Everything works fine until i try to run clogin -c "changeto system; show version" hostname.  I think the problem is that the prompt changes.  Is it possible to use the enableprompt to catch this?  I haven't tried it yet, but from reading the man page it doesn't sound like it will look for a different prompt once I am already logged in.  Here is the clogin info.

no, enableprompt will not do what you want; but, the prompt changing in that
manner is likely the problem, since once clogin believes that it has a prompt,
it saves a few of the leading characters to try to ensure that matches an
actual prompt as it reads through command output.

maybe you can get the complete configuration(s) via another method (like
via a supervisor of some sort) or change the prompts so that the first 14
characters are the same.