clogin for Avaya Pxxx series switches?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Sep 26 18:03:14 UTC 2005

Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:18:54AM -0500, Douglas C. Stephens:
> I've been using RANCID and clogin very successfully on all my Cisco routers.  However,
> there are a large gaggle of Avaya P580, P550, P330, P130, and P120 switches on my network
> that I would like to track and archive their configurations.  I realize the Avaya P330 and
> lower switches have a very un-Cisco like syntax, but the Avaya P550 and P580 series
> (originally derived from the DEC/Prominet P550) switches have a command flow for viewing
> the switch configuration that is very similar to a Cisco router (except for the logout
> sequence, which is exit/exit instead of logout).
>
> I was wondering if any readers of this list have attempted to adapt clogin or one of its
> RANCID brethren to work on any of these classes of Avaya switches.

If it looks like a cisco, clogin will probably just work.  if the others are
CLI-driven, it should be possible to make those work.  the ones that are
utterly frustrating are the menu driven ones and those that (unnecessarily)
use VT control codes to manipulate the screen.