[rancid] Re: How to backup files on linux? - VMWare?

mark_scheuber at yahoo.com mark_scheuber at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 15:20:23 UTC 2006

Hi,
    I just wanted to touch base and see if anyone had written a script for VMWare ESX servers?  The wrapper would probably work, but ideally you'd have a config for each ESX server and then a directory full of the VM Hosts which can be migrated from server to server.  Then there's the virtual switches, SAN setup, etc that's all server specific but needs to be uniform accross the ESX farm.  The configs are all in text based conf files that you could scp to the Rancid box and then check in.  It's on my list of things to do and I was hoping not to reinvent the wheel.  If noone's done it I'll post it when I get around to it.  Thanks,

             - Mark

Ed Ravin <eravin at panix.com> wrote: On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 12:46:08PM +0200, Lars Lystrup Christensen wrote:
>    Anyone got scripts for importing files on linux boxes into rancid for
>    backup in CVS?

The "wrapper rancid" patch might do what you want:

  http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2005-November/001276.html