[rancid] Re: problem running command files on Netscreens using nlogin - x

psmith at metafore.ca psmith at metafore.ca
Wed Aug 30 23:59:05 UTC 2006

Hate to reply to myself. but I have figured out something.

It isn't the "" causing the problems, it is the fact that when ScreenOS
enters a vrouter, the prompt changes.

Here is what happens every time..

host5007->  set policy from "VPN-Zone" to "Trust"  "Any" "Private_LAN"
"ANY" permit log
policy id = 17
host5007->  set policy from "Trust" to "VPN-Zone"  "Private_LAN" "Any"
"ANY" permit log
policy id = 18
host5007->  set vrouter trust-vr
host5007(trust-vr)->

Once the prompt changes from host-> to host(anything)-> , rancid does not
process any further commands.

Is there any easy way to fix this? Otherwise, I am unable to run any
commands involving the routing tables...

Thanks

Paul W. Smith
Senior Network Operations Engineer
MCP, SCWSE, SCSA, SCNA, ACE, 3CSA, CNS, CLS, JNCIA-FWV, JNSS-S, JNSA-S
Enterprise Services
Metafore IT Solutions
Direct: 905.362.7290
Cell: 416.271.6937
Toll Free: 800.563.7515 x 4086
psmith at metafore.ca
http://www.metafore.ca

M E T A F O R E
IT SOLUTIONS

             psmith at metafore.c
             rancid-discuss-bo         rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
             unces at shrubbery.n                                          cc
             et
                                                                   Subject
                                       [rancid] problem running command
             08/30/2006 05:52          files on Netscreens using nlogin -
             PM                        x

Netscreen configs contain "" around arguments...

Such as the following:

set interface "tunnel.1" zone "VPN-Zone"
set interface "tunnel.2" zone "VPN-Zone"

So I have these commands and many others in a file, and run nlogin with -x
to call the command file. I assume Rancid is quitting after it sees the
first set of "", thinking it is the end of the commands.

Can anyone tell me how I can get around this? When I have run nlogin with
-c, I had to use it like follows:

nlogin -c 'set console timeout 0;set route x.x.x.x/32 vrouter "untrust-vr"
preference 20; save soft from tftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ns5gt.5.3.0fz1.0 to
flash; reset save-config yes no-prompt' -t 30000 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

However, with the number of commands I need run, using -c would be huge. If
I need to though I will, but maybe this could be fixed easily or quickly?

Thanks!

Paul Smith

psmith at metafore.ca
http://www.metafore.ca