[rancid] Re: ignore certain diff's

Matt Hope matt.hope at nicta.com.au
Mon Jun 19 03:03:38 UTC 2006

Austin Schutz wrote:

> 	No comment about whether or not the code works (I'm sure it
> probably does) but it seems excessively complex for direct inclusion
> into control_rancid.
> 	Heas made a comment about having a diff script. That seems like a
> pretty good idea. If we did that we could do something like:

> [..]

> 	... and all the logic about which diff executable and what we
> grep for would be externalized.

I was having thoughts about taking it a step further - having an rc.d/
type directory of scripts to run after the checkout. By default, this
would just be the " cvs diff | mail " command, but I can see it being
useful for other things as well - say, for running a "rat" report any
time there are router changes, or re-drawing the network diagram (if
you're the kind of person that generates this from the config files).

A different way to solve the parent's problem would be to use diff's
'--exclude-from=FILE' argument. On this list previously, we've had
people wanting to suppress Cisco Call Manager forwarding changes, as
well as spantree changes on some Catalyst switches.