[rancid] Re: storing configs in non-local (gserver) cvs server

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Mar 17 00:11:02 UTC 2006

Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:06:06PM -0800, john heasley:
> Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:38:20AM -0800, Austin Schutz:
> > 	Rancid doesn't care where the cvs server is as long as it works,
> > and doesn't require rancid to do any interactive authentication.
> > 	We have this set up here using ssh, but it would work with other
> > forms of transport as well. With pserver you would just do a cvs login
> > and it would cache the password in ~/.cvspass. I've never used gserver,
> > but I would imagine there is a similar (if not identical) process.
>
> Not that rancid-cvs does not support this.  To handle that, you'll have to
> create the repository and check-out local version manually.

This is not right.  I've mucked around with this a bit and it works fine.
Just set CVS_RSH & CVSROOT in rancid.conf.  eg:

	CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH
	CVSROOT="myhost:/fqpn/CVS"; export CVSROOT

Not to go on a CVS tutorial here, but assuming you are starting fresh, this
should be the only change necessary.

Justin Grote mentioned in a private email that it should be possible with
subversion as well.  I'll let him expand on that, as i'm quite new to svn.