[rancid] HP Switches Stacked

Big Wave Dave bigwavedave at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 17:06:54 UTC 2006

I have been monitoring an HP4104GL and HP2824, without issue, for many
months.  Last week the admin of the devices decided to configure them
in a "stack"... managed on one IP.  Now the hlogin seems to be
failing.  When run on the command line it gets to the prompt to select
the switch.  I'm confident this is causing the problem.  Is there a
way to pass the stack member/number?  Is there another solution,
besides unstacking?

Thanks,
Dave

DETAILS:
rancid-2.3.1
expect-5.42.1-1
tcl-8.4.7-2

OUTPUT:
[rancid at lobster ~]$ hlogin 10.0.1.253
10.0.1.253
spawn hpuifilter -- telnet 10.0.1.253
Trying 10.0.1.253...
Connected to 10.0.1.253 (10.0.1.253).
Escape character is '^]'.
HP J4887A ProCurve Switch 4104GL
Firmware revision G.07.50

Copyright (C) 1991-2003 Hewlett-Packard Co.  All Rights Reserved.

                           RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

 Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to restrictions
 as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and
 Computer Software clause at 52.227-7013.

         HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303

Username: admin
Password:
  Stack Members

  SN MAC Address   System Name      Device Type     Status
  0  000883-059900 DemoSwitch-0      HP 4104GL      Commander Up
  1  000883-08ad60 DemoSwitch-1      HP 2824        Member Up

Enter switch number to connect to or <CR>:

Error: TIMEOUT reached