[rancid] post-install, now what?

jim bartus jim.bartus at gmail.com
Thu May 25 15:45:09 UTC 2006

I've gotten a trial install of rancid going on my network now checking about
20 devices (all cisco, switches, routers, and two pixes).  My question is...
now what?

For instance, in my old setup (pancho/snmp/tftp based) I had a copy of
running config sitting in a tftp root, which made it easy to "copy tftp run"
from a device to restore a config.  How do you guys address this in rancid?
I notice that since what rancid stores in cvs is one giant file, I'd have to
write a script to parse out the parts I want.  Is there a community site of
some sort where scripts like these are posted?

Also, has anyone done any integration work with syslog so that rancid will
automatically run against a device when a log message about its config
changing comes in?

Mostly I'm just trying to avoid as much re-inventing of the wheel as
possible, so I'm hoping to find documentation, tips, best practices, and
scripts that may already exist.

-jim