[rancid] cisco or cat5

Rob Shepherd rob at techniumcast.com
Tue Oct 10 17:57:02 UTC 2006

Dear rancidees,

I am unsure which "vendor" attribute to use for each of the cisco
devices I have. I think I have a choice of 'cisco' or 'cat5'.

I have

6509 switches
3750 switches
FSWMs

Looking at the commands present in each of 'cisco' or 'cat5' It seems I
can benefit from using cisco on the 6509, to get "show vlan" etc.

Or am I safe to use "cisco" on all my cisco kit... even catalysts?

I'm going to have to hack rancid anyway, because i'd rather not make my
rancid user enable_15, So I'm dropping 'show config' to a lower priv, to
workaround the "show run" issue. I'd rather not hack it into some
hideous creature, as my perl is not great^H^H^H^H^Hin existence...

Also, has anybody come across a smart way of backing up FSWM config AND
FSWM context configs using something like rancid.

Cheers

Rob
--
Rob Shepherd, PhD | Computer and Network Engineer | TechniumCAST
rob gets mail at techniumcast.com