[rancid] Re: running rancid-run manually generates false changes

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Aug 10 18:25:46 UTC 2007

rancid-run will source the config file itself.

I believe it was mentioned already, but you SHOULD NOT run rancid-run et al
as any user except the rancid pseudo user [unless you know what you're doing].
Only the login scripts are intended to be used outside of rancid.

Withou the proper permissions, that the rancid pseudo user would normally
have, the results are undefined.

And, David points out the subtle differences you can experience with an
interactive shell compared to one from cron.

Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 01:12:34PM -0700, Lance: