[rancid] Re: Delete( Remove) old revision cvs

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Aug 17 23:52:48 UTC 2007

Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 11:45:55AM -0300, Thiago Lacerda Zago:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using cvsweb with rancid to control my revisions and they are growing and I wonder to know if there is a way to supress or even remove old revisions from the history tree.
>
> My revisions graph tree is growing fast and the older diffs are meaningless in this occasion (startup operation).
>
> I was checking in the cvs commands and found this solution (cvs admin -o allows you to "oblitereate" revisions. Read the man page. ) but have not tested yet because they don't recommend it so.
>
> Is there another approach to tackle this problems?

I've used -o to delete old revisions and have not had a problem with it,
but it is true that it could create issues if you wish to create diffs
against old revisions or re-create old revisions.

I wouldn't expect the growing number of reivisons to create a real issue,
but if you insist and wish to be 100% safe, start with new revisions or
write a script that re-creates a range of versions and commits them under
a new name.  eg:
	for 1 2 3 in ver; do
	  cvs -d ./CVS co -p $ver group/config/host > group/config/newhost
	  cvs commit -m 'updates' group/config/newhost
	done

again, I recommend that you just leave it alone or re-start with a clean
slate.