[rancid] Re: Rancid - clogin -hangs on a cisco router

Jeremy McCourt jmccourt at jeremymccourt.com
Tue Jan 23 16:57:56 UTC 2007

Lourdes,
    Don't use ping, ICMP (ping) packets are so small that they may give
you a misrepresentation of how your network is running, try a real
transfer with FTP, SCP, SFTP, something that will be able to transfer
large amounts of data. Lets say like a 10meg file, when I would try to
transfer it with the slowdown it would take anywhere between 5-10 mins,
I'm currently on wireless, and get about 300KB/sec and takes 35seconds,
wired I can xfer that in under 10 seconds.
if you have access to your switch that the solaris machine is plugged
into check that it is 100/full,
and by using ndd on the solaris box you can set it to 100/full as well.
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Solaris_NIC_speed_and_duplex_settings.html
(this page explains how to make the interface changes using ndd)
When I was having my issues, my ping was quick, I was even able to pull
webpages off my server (but sometimes slow), but only once in a while I
would be able to pull a full config off a router, I would see the raw
files in the config directory, they would change size in chunks, and it
would take quite some time.
    **you can have it use temp (raw) files by editing the rancid.conf
file, and modify the nopipe setting.
NOPIPE=YES; export NOPIPE
**
       -Jeremy