[rancid] Re: Pulling down context configs from a Cisco FWSM

Lance rancid at gheek.net
Wed Mar 28 17:38:42 UTC 2007

Rob,

I am not sure the best method would be to make a config that large as it
would be hard to report on the changes and know where the changes where
other than on that asa/pix. The way I would think about doing it would
be to create a config for the pix/asa using system/admin then create a
series of config files for each context but name it something like this
"ops-pix-01-context-timewarner.conf". This would allow you to be
notified of each one being updated etc and keep the config file from
getting huge.

The way I would go about doing this would be to use the addon that Ed
Ravin published a while back. I would specify a custom portion in
bin/rancid-fe for ASA/Pixes (that use contexts) and then collect the
config like normal but also collect information on "show context" so
that I can parse it after the config is collected. Then log into the
device via and issue a change to each context and log each output to a
new file. Another file would need to be updated as well, this being
bin/clogin. The file would need to be updated to know it has to modify
the file it creates to reflect the context name.

It is possible to do it another way such as creating host entries in
your /etc/host file for each context on each firewall, but that would
be a great idea as it wouldn't scale well and wouldn't be completely
dynamic as we like to have things these days.

I will see if I can take a stab at it this weekend. No promises.

-lance