[rancid] Logging into Extreme X450

BCurtin at eircom.ie BCurtin at eircom.ie
Fri Nov 30 12:57:13 UTC 2007

Hi

I am having similar issues logging on to Extreme's X450 switch using
clogin (ExtremeXOS version 11.6.3.4) as mentioned in the thread "clogin
on extreme X450". However in my case the login process works about 70%
of the time (but has to make two attempts) and fails after 3 attempts
the rest of the time. See output below for both cases. I suspect the
issue is the same.

[alderaan] ~/deltas/SPOOL> clogin metro-sw1
metro-sw1
spawn telnet metro-sw1
Trying 10.10.80.11...
Won't send login name and/or authentication information.
Connected to metro-sw1.
Escape character is '^]'.

telnet session telnet0 on /dev/ptyb0

login: admin
password:

Login incorrect
login: passwd
password:

Login incorrect
login: admin
password:

ExtremeXOS
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Extreme Networks. All rights reserved.
Protected by US Patent Nos: 6,678,248; 6,104,700; 6,766,482; 6,618,388;
6,034,957; 6,859,438; 6,912,592; 6,954,436; 6,977,891; 6,980,550;
6,981,174; 7,003,705; 7,012,082.
======

Press the <tab> or '?' key at any time for completions.
Remember to save your configuration changes.

metro-sw1:.1 #

[alderaan] ~/deltas/SPOOL> clogin metro-sw1
metro-sw1
spawn telnet metro-sw1
Trying 10.252.80.11...
Won't send login name and/or authentication information.
Connected to metro-sw1.
Escape character is '^]'.

telnet session telnet0 on /dev/ptyb0

login: admin
password:

Login incorrect
login: passwd
password:

Login incorrect
login: passwd
password:

Login incorrect
Maximum number of login attempts reached!
Connection closed by foreign host.
passwd

Error: Connection Refused (telnet)
[alderaan] ~/deltas/SPOOL>

I tried the suggested fix, i.e. "one way would be to change the login
prompt regex to "$u_prompt[^a-zA-Z0-9]" and the default u_prompt to
"(Username|Login|login|user name): ?"," but couldn't get it to work -
kept getting a syntax error for the "u_prompt[^a-zA-Z0-9]" bit. I'm not
familiar with expect so was wondering if the syntax given is correct.
The changes I made to clogin and the error message I get are shown
below.

Changed these two lines

if { "$u_prompt" == "" } { set u_prompt "(Username|Login|login|user
name): ?" }

-re "$u_prompt[^a-zA-Z0-9]"         {

Get this error message when I run clogin

%clogin metro-sw1
metro-sw1
spawn telnet metro-sw1
invalid command name "^a-zA-Z0-9"
    while executing
"^a-zA-Z0-9"
    invoked from within
"expect {
        -re "(Connection refused|Secure connection \[^\n\r]+
refused|Connection closed by)" {
            catch {close}; wait
            if ..."
    (procedure "login" line 66)
    invoked from within
"login $router $ruser $userpswd $passwd $enapasswd $cmethod $cyphertype"
    ("foreach" body line 94)
    invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
    set router [string tolower $router]
    send_user "$router\n"

    # Figure out prompt.
    # Since autoena..."
    (file "/var/local/rancid/bin/clogin" line 565)
%

Regards
Bill Curtin

The information contained in this e-mail and any files transmitted
with it is confidential and may be subject to legal professional
privilege. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee(s).
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please note
that any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing,
copying or transmission of this e-mail and/or any file transmitted
with it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please promptly
inform the sender by reply e-mail and delete the material.
Whilst this e-mail message has been swept for the presence of
computer viruses, eircom does not, except as required by law,
represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity
of this communication has been maintained nor that
the communication is free of errors, viruses, interception or
interference.

eircom Limited. Private Company Limited by Shares.
Registered in Dublin. Registration Number 98789.
Registered Office - 114 St. Stephen's Green West, Dublin 2.