[rancid] Re: Back-up procedures

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Mon Oct 1 14:40:59 UTC 2007

Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 10:14:26AM -0400, Fox, Brad:
> Hello all,
>

> Just out curiosity when I look to back-up my rancid directories are
> there any special considerations I should be concerned about? I have
> attempted to look on-line for procedures to back-up Rancid but all I can
> seem to find are the tutorials for backing up network equipment. What I
> am looking to do is to back-up the rancid system in-case of hardware or
> software failure. Thank you in advance for your help.

In theory, disk/fsys dumps are all you need.  the caveat is that I think
they'd need to be done in silent state.  That is, I do not know what
might occur if the CVS repository were updated at the same time that
dumps were run.  The repository file changes, rather than being updated,
so it may be in an inconsistent state when hits tape.