[rancid] Re: Setting up rancid with a corp svn server?

Tom Duijf tom.duijf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 07:54:42 UTC 2008

Rancid uses a local svn/cvs repository and and a local working
copy/checkout.
The trick is to just ignore the local repos and make a working copy from
the corporate server yourself using a separate local user so svn can
safely store its repos credentials. Svn store their own repos path, the
one in the rancid config file is only for initial creation.

Install rancid in a normal way, have it set up the local repos and
working copy (without switches, just the basic dir layout).
Rancid only uses the local repos path when there is no working copy set
up. After this, just temp copy the working copy contents (remove the
.svn dirs) and check out a new empty dir from our corp repos.

I have rancid setup to use a department svn server where we not just
store network device configs but also several sets of server
configuration, committed by a separate set of scripts. All works like a
charm.

Kind regards,
Tom Duijf