[rancid] Re: Repeated change in output

alex rancid at ale.cx
Fri Dec 5 08:07:56 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008 22:00:59 Chris Cameron wrote:

> !VLAN: 1    default         active    Gi0/33, Gi0/37, Gi0/38, Gi0/45
> !VLAN:                              Gi0/46
> vs.
> !VLAN: 1    default         active    Gi0/33, Gi0/37, Gi0/38, Gi0/45,
> Gi0/46
>
> And this alternates every time it runs. During this time, no one is
> logged into these switches.

I see similar thing on routers with DNS servers alternating, and on ASAs with
the indentation of the inspection config changing. I think this could be
considered to be a minor bug on Cisco's part. On the other hand, if whatever
part of RANCID does the diff between one config revision and the next had
some awareness of what is being diffed, then this could be avoided. This
would basically involve implementing a Cisco config parser that can
understand every config directive, so don't hold your breath :-)

alexd