[rancid] Re: bypassing splash screen on HP ProCurve 3500

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Wed Dec 10 19:15:00 UTC 2008

On 12/10/08 3:30 AM, Arne Svennevik wrote:
> First, I'd try with hlogin instead of clogin (since it's a HP). We have
> several types of HP switches, all with the mentioned splash screen, and
> rancid pulls configs just fine. We use 'hp' as device type in router.db and
> the following authentication info:
> add password    xx.xx.xx.xx           {password}
> add method      xx.xx.xx.xx           telnet
> add autoenable  xx.xx.xx.xx           1

Thanks. You're using telnet, and I had ssh. Just tried with telnet
re-enabled on the switch and that works, including getting past the
splash screen.

hlogin isn't working with ssh, though:

$ /usr/local/libexec/rancid/hlogin 1.2.3.4
spawn hpuifilter -- 'ssh -c 3des -x -l admin' 1.2.3.4

Error: Couldn't login

But manually executing 'ssh -c 3des -x -l admin 1.2.3.4' works OK.

Rancid and ssh work with Cisco boxes here; am I missing something in the
ssh setup for hp?

Also, FWIW the rancid logs report a clogin error for the HP switch:

1.2.3.4 clogin error: Error: Couldn't login

even though it's defined as an HP box in router.db:

1.2.3.4:hp:up

What am I missing?

thanks

dn