[rancid] Re: jlogin timeout

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Tue Jan 15 21:44:20 UTC 2008

Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 07:09:56PM +0100, Jean BENOIT:
> Hello,
>
> jlogin stopped working after I upgraded expect.
> I am using expect-devel from the FreeBSD ports,
> which is based on expect 5.44.1
> (reasons for upgrading expect :
> http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-discuss/2008-January/002672.html
> )
>
> While doing a ssh password authentication on a
> Juniper router, expect finds no matching expression.
> Previous version of expect was tolerant with this line :
>
>  	    "\[Pp]assword:"	{
>   				  sleep 1; send "$passwd\r"
>   				  exp_continue
>   				}
>
> The "-re" flag should be provided for this line to work.

I don't think that should be necessary, since [] are valid in globs, which
is the default pattern matching and is cheaper than regex.  I've tested it
with tcl 8.4.14 and expect 8.4.7 and it works as expected and has worked
with 8.3 in the past.

So, there is another tcl regression.  You should open a freebsd ports
ticket; I suspect this is a general problem with their build of the tcl83
port.