[rancid] Trouble with Cisco CSS backup (cssrancid prompt problem?)

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Fri Mar 21 15:58:41 UTC 2008

I have some Cisco CSS 11503 load balancers that I'm trying to back up.  My
normal rancid account is a TACACS-controlled account with command
authorization which can only execute a limited set of commands that rancid
needs.  The CSS seems to have the unusual property that it uses a '>'
prompt instead of '#' based solely on what kind of command authorization
list it gets from TACACS.  Anyway, through experiments I've found that I can
get a good CSS backup only if the prompt has a # character and that it
fails if there is a > character instead.  Note that I have modified the
.cloginrc file with the appropriate values of "noenable" or "autoenable"
depending on the prompt.  The weird part is that if I execute the same
command set that cssrancid is trying to use via clogin, it works perfectly
fine.  Here is what shows up in the log file:

Trying to get all of the configs.
slb01.example.com: missed cmd(s): term length 65535,show run,show
version,show boot
slb01.example.com: End of run not found

But, running this command by hand works perfectly:

clogin -c 'term length 65535;show run;show version;show boot' slb01.example.com

I'm wondering if there is some kind of hardcoded prompt setting in
cssrancid?  Thanks.

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network/Security/Linux/Perl Geek
"If you want to be somebody else, change your mind."  -Sister Hazel