[rancid] Re: Netscreen: nlogin file 'set console page 0'

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Nov 12 02:00:35 UTC 2008

Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:57:41PM -0500, Atif.SIDDIQUI at HydroOne.com:
> I found this patch: config change;
>

>  but we should be able to put in the page only for that vty sessionnot
> affecting all the users and config;
>
> As RANCID does not save the config after doing the following steps;
> other users always get a message to save the config or not; even though
> they have not change anything; it was because RANCID added "set console
> 0" then unset it cause the config changes. Can we have a workaround.

That does not seem to be a very good fix.  If another user happens to be
logged-in when rancid runs, the pager will be disabled AND if another user
re-enables the pager it will confuse nlogin, possibly causing it to hang
(thus more emails about problems collecting...).

A better fix, assuming this is still a global knob, is to deal with the
pager, if possible.