[rancid] Re: Netscreen: nlogin file 'set console page 0'

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 12 09:34:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, john heasley wrote:

> any who aspire to have a cisco-like CLI then make a simple command
> different, like terminal length 0 which has been around since IOS 8.0,
> deserve the naughty bits.

That comment could be applied to many vendors, not just Foundry.  I have
to deal with three or four Cisco-a-like CLI, each with their own quirks.
I've even seen some badged as "industry-standard CLI", which I suppose is
true in the broadest sense of operation and facility, but certainly not in
detail.  And remember the lawsuit spat between Cisco and Huawei, where the
CLI was one issue of contentio.  How close to a Cisco interface do vendors
dare go?  We buy products from different vendors for good reason, we can
hardly expect every command to match exactly, and yet we should expect
rancid to deal with those differences without prejudice, where such
support is practicable.

Anyway, Cisco can hardly be held an exemplar for consistency :)

> > I note similar comments for Extreme: "... an extreme (since the pager
> > can not be disabled on a per-vty basis)".
>
> can it be now?  whats the command?

Pass, don't have 'em.

Jethro.

--