[rancid] help with rancid w/ Dell patch

Burton Windle bwindle at fint.org
Mon Nov 17 18:21:14 UTC 2008

I am running rancid 2.3.2~a7-2 (Ubuntu), and am attempting to integrate
the Dell (dlogin/drancid) patches from rickyninja.net

I've got dlogin working (just "./dlogin 192.168.220.10"), but if rancid
tries to send any commands (dlogin -c"show version" 192.168.220.10"), the
dlogin process seems to freeze after it sends the 'exit' command (or just
wait forever).

It seems to be that my Dell switch doesn't like the 'exit' command;
sending 'exit' (when at the enable prompt) simply takes it down to normal
exec, rather then closing the session (like 'quit' does).  The account I
am using to log into the switches drops directly to enable.

I tried to monkey around with the dlogin script, to have it send 'quit'
instead of 'exit', but then it was complaining about not seeing a
clean_run.*

Has anybody else seen this? I don't know the internals of rancid well
enough to hack this out at the moment.

(I emailed the author of the patch a few days ago and haven't heard from
them)

*The rancid log shows:
opened network stream from 192.168.220.10 if () at /usr/lib/rancid/bin/drancid line 267.
FOUND PROMPT: WH-ClientSW-1#
found_end = 1, clean_run = 0
192.168.220.10: End of run not found
end