[rancid] New installation

Steve Ousley steve at host-it.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 16:12:13 UTC 2008

OK, my second installation of Rancid seemed to be all over the place, so
having simply one firewall on there, I decided to start from scratch.

I followed the instructions, and got rancid installed ok, down to point 7
(Run rancid-cvs) no errors.  I then added a firewall to my "asa" group's
router.db in the form: "hostname:cisco:up" and ran rancid-run.

Now, the reason that this was restarted was due to it not putting the diffs
into CVS properly, and it seems that is still the case.

I have checked the "asa" log and have this:

rancid:/usr/local/rancid# cat var/logs/asa.20081006.170446

starting: Mon Oct 6 17:04:46 BST 2008

cvs add: in directory `.':

cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do `cvs checkout' first

cvs commit: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

cvs commit: nothing known about `hostname'

cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Added hostname

cvs status: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

cvs status: use `cvs add' to create an entry for `hostname'

cvs add: in directory `.':

cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do `cvs checkout' first

cvs added missing router hostname

Trying to get all of the configs.

All routers sucessfully completed.

cvs diff: in directory .:

cvs [diff aborted]: there is no version here; run 'cvs checkout' first

cvs commit: in directory .:

cvs [commit aborted]: there is no version here; run 'cvs checkout' first

ending: Mon Oct 6 17:05:01 BST 2008

in the log file.  I thought that the rancid-cvs command was supposed to
create all of these automatically?  I have my LIST_OF_GROUPS setup as:

LIST_OF_GROUPS="switches routers asa pix"

So this all looks ok to me.  Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Steve Ousley - SO620-RIPE

Nuco Technologies Ltd

 <mailto:steve at host-it.co.uk> steve at host-it.co.uk

 <http://www.nucotechnologies.com/> www.nucotechnologies.com

Tel. 0870 165 1300

Nuco Technologies Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales
with company number 04470751