[rancid] Re: Download configs from one router through another

Chris Stave cstave at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:07:55 UTC 2008

To do this you'd have to make significant changes in either clogin or
rancid, which might be possible to get working, but much more difficult to
make so that it works easily and productively, especially in a generic
fashion.  If you're going to attempt this, the two ways of going about it as
far I as can guess in a few minutes are either change clogin to accept a
second address as an argument (not forgetting the issue of usernames and
passwords), or if you just want configs, change rancid itself so that there
is a new type of router in there that parses additional commands that
connect to the remote switches and get the configs that way.  Either way, it
is a significant change in the way that rancid and clogin would be working.
Keep us updated if you add this functionality -- it seems some other people
would like it as well.

Chris