[rancid] Choosing what commands are run on collection

JasonA itsjasona at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 13:00:39 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've searched around for the answer to this, but can't find any, so I'm hoping someone can help.

We've set up RANCID at our work, and it's working very well.

The only problem that he have is that on certain types of network switch, the information RANCID gets will include things like VLAN assignments, and spanning tree port costs, which will change dynamically through the day as different devices join/leave the network.  This means that we frequently get messages on the hour about these insignificant changes, and the CVS version gets incremented when no actual "config change" has been made.

Ideally, we would like to change this by getting RANCID to run just "show run" on the IOS switches, and "show config" on the CatOS switches.  I've checked all the rancid, rancid-run, clogin, cloginrc etc man pages, but I've not managed to find an obvious way of doing this.

Please let me know if this is something that we can do (or somehting that you've already done!)

Many thanks,

Jason