[rancid] RANCID as an Element of a CMDB System

Traiano Welcome twelcome at tenet.ac.za
Fri Sep 19 08:39:13 UTC 2008

Hi All

We've recently been tasked with putting together a CMDB system, and one aspect of this system is the storage (and further analysis) of router configurations. Currently, this is handled  in the following way:

1. A rancid instance pulls router configs into the usual "config" directory, resulting in a collection of ,v files.
2. A "cmdb agent script" regularly polls the directory and extracts all new configs and changed router configs into a MySQL database schema. at this point the router configs are considered to be within the CMDB proper.
3. Staff with access to a php web interface can view the physical elements of routers (chassis, Slots, PSU, Processor, Feature Cards etc ...) and their serial and part numbers and thus conduct Asset Tracking and Stores Management.

At this point, the system is functional, but a major problem I forsee is keeping the database schema up to date so that when new router models appear with new hardware element fields and formats I would have to modify the schema and some back-end import code to cater for new fields.
Ideally, what I want is a pre-canned sql schema for each model router config (or a single generic one!) which would allow me to easily import a router config into a database.

Does such a thing exist? Alternatively, is there a RANCID variant out there which already imports router configs to SQL databases?

Thanks in Advance,
Traiano